“You can only know where you’re going if you know where you’ve been.” –James Burke
Do you remember paper maps?
You know, the funny drawings with the squiggle things on them.
The things you’d get from rest stops that you couldn’t fold back up.
Maps are magical things when you think about them. If you use them right, you can tell where you’ve been, where you are, and where you’re going.
So even though they’re a bit of a pain, they are absolutely essential for getting where you want to go.
So how come nobody uses maps anymore? I mean, when was the last time you used a paper map?
I’ll tell you why: GPS.
GPS is like using a map. Only 10 times better because of modern technology.
Satellites pinpoint your location to within a few feet. Computers help you figure out the best way to get from Point A to Point B.
And you can even see it in the dark.
So what does this have to do with Crossfit?
In order to reach your fitness goals you need to know where you are, where you’ve been, and where you’re going. (Just like travelling).
The old school method was to use paper notebooks. This approach worked well for decades, but there were still problems:
You had to remember to write things down. You had to remember the book. If it got wet, it fell apart. You could lose it. And even after you recorded your results, it was hard to go back and find them.
So paper journals were like old school maps. They worked, but so much more was possible with modern technology.
Have you heard about Wodify?
Wodify is a CrossFit digital whiteboard system that registers athletes for class, workout results, and remembers past performance.
It gets rid of the traditional analog whiteboard found in most Crossfit gyms. Wodify replaces it with a system that helps people track their efforts more quickly and efficiently.
Why Should You Use Wodify?
You can use Wodify to…..
- Enter in your destination – collaborate with a coach to set achievable goals
- Choose your route – Work with your coach to determine the best way to get to where you want to be.
- Prepare for your journey – Check out the workout of the day. Then check out the Video Library that Wodify has available.
- Set off on your adventure – start logging your workout results, nutrition, sleep, water intake, and body weight from Day 1.
- Mount it right to your dashboard – access Wodify online from your computer or from Wodify’s app on your phone/tablet. Wodify is available 24 hrs a day from your home, in the box, at work, or while travelling.
- Where are you now? Where have you been? Are you headed in the right direction? – Wodify will track your performance so that you can tell at a glance. It may be necessary to re-route if you’re going in the wrong direction (performance going down/same) or continue on the right path (performance going up).
- Do you go right or do you go left? – Look at your past performance to gauge what you should do on your next workout (i.e. What’s 75% of your squat 1 rep max?).
- Stay updated – check out the daily WOD, receive box updates via email or text, and check class schedule, coaches, and attendees
- You’ve arrived at your destination! – Congrats! Wodify will display your PRs as you achieve your goals and make new progress.
- Your journey helps others – We analyze everybody’s results to improve programming on a group and individual basis.
- You’re never travelling alone – You have the ability to comment and like workouts on the Whiteboard. Your fellow athletes can do the same. Wodify also provides easy FB/twitter integration so that you can post there too.
How Do You Get Up and Running with Wodify?
Athletes at Crossfit Downtown Winston enjoy free access to Wodify as part of their membership.
But just like your GPS, it only works if you turn it on.
Be sure to read the next article in this Wodify series to learn the nuts and bolts of how to use your Fitness GPS on a daily basis.
Because I want to make sure you succeed in your fitness journey.
Don’t get lost before you’ve even started.